A read-only archive of discourse.darkjedibrotherhood.com as of Sunday May 01, 2022.

[December Pilot] Contract 074: Rod - Assassination, A-Class

RowenaMagnuri

Commissioner’s Office, Antei Contract Bureau Offices
Dungeon, Arcona Citadel, Estle City
Selen, Dajorra System
0540 Hours

The Onderonian sipped from a steaming mug of caf. The Mandalorian Fades had fallen asleep hours before. The Offices had been quiet since Kordath had stumbled in shortly before midnight, aside from a completely pointless argument between the two females.

Celevon put down his mug and lit a cigarette, sensing the approach of the younger male that had visited their office days before. He exhaled the smoke and, using a tendril of Force energy, caused the door to swing open the moment Rod raised his hand to knock.

“Protector Rod, right?”

“Yes, sir. That’s me.”

“Don’t call me ‘sir’. I work for a living,” the Prelate smirked, tossing a datapad to the Sith. “Sight left this for you.”

Power on
Loading Files
Decrypting Files
Opening Sound File

Protector Rod, The DIA requests that you travel to Kessel to locate and kill a woman by the name of Katrina Golva. Golva was an intelligence analyst working for the DIA until two weeks ago when she suddenly went AWOL after finishing decrypting an extremely top secret data file. Her knowledge could become damaging to the Shadow Clan if she was to be left alive. Good hunting Protector.

Close Sound File
Open Dossier File: Katrina Golva

Name: Katrina Golva
Race: Human
Distinguishing marks: Long black hair and piercing blue eyes
Affiliation: Former intelligence analyst for the DIA
Classification: Kill on sight
Notable Skills: Minimal combat training and experience, extremely intelligent and an expert with all technologies.
Intel: Katrin Golva went AWOL two weeks ago from the Dajorra Intelligence Agency. Our Intelligence network has located records of Golva entering a small port on Kessel.

Close Dossier File: Katrina Golva
Close All Files
Power Off

NicolaiRodell

Selen, Dajorra System

Finally, the Journeyman thought as he strode through the dimly lit hallway, a real test of my skills.

An assassination was a big step up from the recon work he did earlier in the week. Although his cheek bones were still sore from the pounding he received in that bar. His hand slowly slid up to his still slightly
bruised cheek before he abruptly dropped it and made sure no one was looking at him.

Katrina Golva, he thought, consider yourself space dust.

Hyperspace

The blue tunnel of hyperspace coupled with the humming of the hyperdrive provided a strange sense of calm for Rod. Unlike submarine travel, hyperspace was something Rod enjoyed. He liked the sense of calm that it provided him with. Back during the Swarm War hyperspace travel was usually a literal embodiment of the calm before the storm. Today however, there was no storm expected.

Some intelligence analyst with little to no combat training, the Protector laughed to himself, this is going to be a walk in the park.

Kessel Spaceport

The fusial thrust engines hummed as the x-wing lightly touched down on the landing pad. R7-B7 chirped loudly as Rod opened the cockpit and made his way down the ladder. A protocol droid approached him as he reached ground level.

“Good day sir, the docking fee here is 20 credits.” The droid said.

“Here’s your credits,” Rod replied “Now check your databanks and see if a woman named Katrina Golva has docked here recently.”

“Yes sir, it would appear Ms. Golva landed on Kessel approximately three days ago. Her current residence is listed as apartment C-34 located in the residential module.” The droid replied.

Too easy, Rod thought, I’ll be back on Selen in time for dinner.

Residential Module,
Kessel Spaceport

It had been two hours since Rod located apartment C-34. A growing pile of cigarette butts lay next to the Journeyman as he resumed his post against the wall after pacing back and forth a few times.

Two hours, he thought, two hours out here and I haven’t seen a single sign of this cursed woman.

Fed up with waiting, the Journeyman decided his best course of action would be to kick the door down and do some snooping. He approached the apartment cautiously, making sure no good Samaritans would interfere with his duties.

Upon reaching the door he realized he was in deep doo doo. The original lock had been gutted, and in its place was a four digit pin code accompanied with fingerprint scan and voiceprint lock.

Damn technology, the human thought, maybe if I just smash this stupid pad the door will open.

With that genius idea in mind, the young Journeyman proceeded to bash the pad in with the hilt of his training saber. An obnoxiously loud alarm immediately sounded, followed by a small hatch above the door swinging open and two remotes hovering out.

What in the world, Rod thought, what are these supposed to be, floating cameras?

Just as he finished his thought he felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. Instinctively, without really knowing why, the human ignited the blade of his training saber just in time to deflect the first burst of blaster fire from the remote.

Sithspit, the Protector thought, guard dogs.

Another volley of blaster fire came from the pair of droids. This time the Journeyman was not so lucky, while he was able to deflect the first shot back at the remote on the right, destroying it, the second shot
grazed his left shoulder.

That’s it, he thought, looking down at the already cauterized wound on his upper bicep, this schutta is going to pay for that.

The last remote let off another round, which was quickly deflected by the Human directly back at the small defender. The droid erupted into a pile of metal and motors.

“You brute.” A voice said behind him “Do you know how long it took me to program that voiceprint ID?”

“Terribly sorry.” The Journeyman said “I’m just here to collect the rent for the week.”

“Fat chance.” Golva replied “Not many businessmen carry lightsabers, why are you here?”

“Did you really think the DIA would just let you walk away with what you know Katrina?”

The young woman’s blue eyes grew large with fear as the words left the Protector’s lips.

“You’re here to kill me?” She asked timidly.

“Precisely.” Rod replied.

With that the Journeyman took a step towards his target, who proceeded to turn and sprint off at full speed towards the docking area. Rod fell in behind her in close pursuit. The crowded space port gave the slightly smaller woman an advantage, it was hard for Rod to squeeze through the tight spaces like she did, so instead he ended up knocking a good number of people over as he barreled towards the soon to be deceased analyst.

Katrina stopped momentarily upon reaching the docking area, trying to decide which ship she could steal the most easily. Before she could make her decision however, she heard the Protectors voice behind her.

“Have you decided how you want to die yet Katrina?”

“Yeah, old and in a bed.” She retorted, then she quickly reached into her bag and pulled out a small cylinder.

“Makeup, at a time like this?” The Protector asked.

Just then a sudden bright flash emitted from the end of the cylinder. As the bubbles cleared from Rod’s vision, the woman was now a good 50 meters away, attempting to board his X-Wing.

The Journeyman took off at an ungodly speed towards the ship, closing the gap in a matter of seconds and driving his elbow into the analyst’s chest as she attempted to mount the ladder to his cockpit. She stumbled back and found herself grasping the handrail at the edge of the landing pad. A 200
meter fall lay behind her while an assassin stood in front of her. She was clearly out of options.

She reached into her bag again, this time pulling out a thermal detonator.

“Here’s the deal kid” She said “You kill me, my thumb comes off this button, and you die too.”

A large grin came across the Protector’s face.

“It was nice to meet you Katrina. You really are resourceful little devil. Too bad you’re a traitor, I think we would have been good friends.”

As the last word left the Journeyman’s lips a hammer of telekinetic energy crashed into Katrina’s chest, sending her backwards over the rail and plunging towards her doom. A few seconds later the thermal detonator exploded.

Heh, Rod thought, guess there won’t be an open casket for that one.

With that, Rod turned to his ship and began to prep his ship for launch.

Commissioner’s Office, Antei Contract Bureau Offices
Selen, Dajorra System

“Well that was quick.” Celevon said as Rod entered the office with his report.

“What can I say, I like to go fast.” The young Human replied.

“And she’s dead, you’re sure?” The Onderonian asked.

“Yes Si-, Yes, Completely sure.” The Journeyman answered.

“Good, check back soon then, I’m sure we’ll have some more work for you.”

RowenaMagnuri

Grade: Excellent (+3)

Jumping right into the grading. See summary at the bottom.

Back during the Swarm War hyperspace travel was usually a literal embodiment of the calm before the storm.

• ‘Back during the Swarm War,

Make sure to add in commas where necessary

The fusial thrust engines hummed as the x-wing lightly touched down on the landing pad.

Um… fusial isn’t a word :stuck_out_tongue:

“Good day sir, the docking fee here is 20 credits.” The droid said.

Using numbers in this matter, when concerning money within dialogue is acceptable.

Within the description, etc, is unacceptable. :stuck_out_tongue:

”-as apartment C-34 located in the residential module.” The droid replied.

If you’re going to write in this manner, I highly suggest the use of a comma over a period at the end of the statement from the droid.

Upon reaching the door he realized he was in deep doo doo.

See my first comment on comma usage. :slight_smile:

With that genius idea in mind, the young Journeyman proceeded to bash the pad in with the hilt of his training saber. An obnoxiously loud alarm immediately sounded, followed by a small hatch above the door swinging open and two remotes hovering out.

And… you’re a Sith, why? :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s it, he thought, looking down at the already cauterized wound on his upper bicep, this schutta is going to pay for that.

Make sure to check your coding before you post. Just a suggestion, not taking points off.

The crowded space port gave the slightly smaller woman an advantage, it was hard for Rod to squeeze through the tight spaces like she did, so instead he ended up knocking a good number of people over as he barreled towards the soon to be deceased analyst.

This is a perfect example of a Run-On or ‘Run-away’ sentence. It can be split up into different sentences to flow better. Otherwise, very well written.

Also, for future reference: Spaceport is one word, from what I’ve read in the SW Universe

Before she could make her decision however, she heard the Protectors voice behind her.

*Protector’s

As before, this is some astonishingly good writing for a new member. What few errors I could find were minimal, which would likely be caught by getting two or three people to proofread. It’s both technically sound, realistic and a enjoyable read. I can honestly say that, with a few years under your belt, I could see your work being published.

Another Excellent score. Very well done!