A read-only archive of discourse.darkjedibrotherhood.com as of Sunday May 01, 2022.

Episode VIII/IX Director Named? - Dark Jedi Brotherhood

system

While JJ works desperately to claim life insurance on the Big Three and Gareth Edwards and Josh Trank plan their solo Star Wars films, Deadline reports that Rian Johnson of Looper, Brick, and (in my opinion) three of the strongest Breaking Bad episodes has been tapped to write and direct Star Wars Episodes 8 and 9. The wording of the rumors is a bit vague, and some news outlets are saying Johnson will only provide a treatment for the Episode 9 script, not directing, but at the least it seems he will direct Episode 8.

It's unclear why Abrams wouldn't direct 8, but the intense scheduling of these films is likely the cause. That said, Abrams could return for Episode 9. Or he may be fired for breaking Harrison Ford's leg.

To add fuel to the all but official rumor, Johnson posted the following clip on YouTube. I consider the clip appropriate for the situation (contains PG-13 language).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/news/star-wars-news-episode-viii-ix-director-named
OccultanIacul

Cool, the clip seems an appropriate point of view for a director of any film specially the Star Wars films…

MarickTyris

Rian Johnson should be trusted. Brick is still one of my favorite movies, and Looper showed that he can handle a budget when handed it. Not the best movie per say but it’s creative and good. I’ve been a fan of his for a while.

MauroWynter

Looper was indeed directed admirably and had many stylistic qualities that I think would make for a great Star Wars movie. However, I feel the mega-budget will force all the new movies to have mass appeal as such may turn away die-hard fans looking for a more mature and raw movie as opposed to the normal cliches. A more Avant Garde director, while never would be feasible, would make for an interesting movie…thinking of a Kenneth Branaugh or a Lars Von Trier.

ZanetXox

You mean the Kenneth Branaugh who directed Thor? Lol

Mass appeal will always be important. It’s a business. But I think Disney-Marvel-Whedon have worked out a nice balance. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy. That looks like it’ll have a distinct James Gunn flair.