A read-only archive of discourse.darkjedibrotherhood.com as of Sunday May 01, 2022.

[GJW XI] Clan Taldryan: Consular Team

Shanree

Dramatis Personae

Rian Taldrya (10701) rian.aslar@gmail.com
Nyssa “Bubbles” Taldrya (300) bubbles_taldrya@hotmail.co.uk
Lokasena “Sena” Corvinus. (7384) lokasena@outlook.com
Vodo Biask Taldrya (3729) vodobiask@outlook.com
Arvalis Raith (7722) tyre.arvalis@gmail.com

Rules

• Teams must have a minimum of 4 participants, and a maximum of 6. For a team to qualify for placement, all posts must meet requirements in these rules and all members of the team must meet post number requirements. However, for participation alone, any individual meeting minimum post requirements will count towards his or her unit.
  • Any member posting twice in a row will disqualify his team from placing - but not participation credit (e.g. if an entire team is dead, Johnny McDarthman can post twice in a row to get his own participation at the end of the event)
  • Members must make 3 posts throughout the duration of the Run-On.
  • Posts must meet the following requirements:
  • Minimum post length: 250 +/- 10 words words
  • Maximum post length: 2000 +/- 10 words.
  • Points from placement are awarded to the unit of the placing team, irrespective of number of members on each team. E.g. if CNS Team A takes first place, and first place is worth 50 pts (example only), CNS gets 50 points, regardless of number of members on the team.
  • Edits may occur on a post until a follow on post has been made (follow on posts include “reserving” a space). Edits may only be made by the posts original author (as in, if you have Forum Administration Rights, you cannot edit another member’s work).
  • Members may reserve post, but no posts can occur until after the reserved post is written.
    Judging will follow the Fiction Rubric.

Fiction Prompt

Civil War has befallen the Brotherhood. The Clans have split into three factions: the Loyalists, who have rallied behind Grand Master Ashen; the Rebels, following the banner of Jac Cotelin; and the New Order, led by the mysterious Sith Lord Esoteric. Each faction has stormed the surface of Korriban, establishing impressive fortifications and moving towards the Valley of the Dark Lords. Loyalists, Rebels, and the New Order clash across Korriban’s surface, all three attempting to gain control of the Valley of Dark Lords and the secrets it holds.

The Valley of Dark Lords has erupted in carnage, forces from every unit in the Brotherhood streaming into the ruins and temples, establishing makeshift defensive positions behind virtually every wall. Blood is spilled over every inch, each of the three sides gambling the lives of thousands of Jedi in an attempt to put an end to this conflict once and for all. The Loyalists, following Ashen’s command, seek to break through to the Tomb of Marka Ragnos, where the Disciples of Ragnos once sealed a chamber with writings on the Rite of Immortality. To open it, Ashen has sent three of his most skilled advisors in ancient dark rites and alchemy, but the way is not yet safe or clear for them, as the One Sith were originally entrenched in the Valley and still maintain a strong control over most of the area. Esoteric’s forces have a base of operations at the Tomb of Ajunta Pall, a fortified location that allows them a great deal of mobility throughout the Valley, which they use to harass any operations by the other two sides. The Adept Dantella Novae reluctantly commands Esoteric’s forces in the region, though she seems more interested in stealing the secrets of Marka Ragnos than in defending the Valley itself. Cotelin is seeking to contain and control whatever the Tomb of Marka Ragnos holds, through any means necessary… and before Ashen’s forces can reach it.

You and your team have found yourselves just outside one of the few entrances to the Valley of the Dark Lords. You know that inside the Valley, death and destruction have overtaken the ruins, but you also know that ultimately, victory for one side of the other is likely to come within the walls of the ancient tombs. Your runon should detail the battle within the Valley, and must illustrate (either through success or failure) at least one of the sides in the conflict - this will play a major role in your Story grade.

Rian

Taldryan Base of Operations
Korriban
Near the Valley of the Dark Lords
38 ABY

The most recent holoscan of the Valley of the Dark Lords rotated slowly above the table in the center of the make-shift command tent. Arvalis Raith, the former apprentice of his close friend had just brought the latest reports from the still ongoing planetfall of the so called ‘Rebels’. The Consul of Taldryan felt a brief emptiness at the thought of his late friend friend Kazmir during times like these, then pushed away the thought upon dismissing the Prelate.

So far only four Taldrya had made it to the surface. Other than the Consul and the Ektrosian Quaestor Halcyon Rokir Taldrya. Nyssa ‘Bubbles’ Taldrya and former Consul Vodo Biask Taldrya were present in the flesh with two more Taldrya projected as holoimages in the small tent. Attending the War Council as holopresences were their chosen Leader Grand Master Jac Cotelin, commanding the CSD Justice and the Proconsul Keirdagh Taldrya Cantor aboard the Dark Prophet II.

“Our spies indicate that Darth Ashen’s troops have made planetfall here.” Rian was saying, his finger jabbing at another canyon leading into the Valley of the Dark Lords, “This brings his troops closer to the estimated location of the tomb of Marka Ragnos than any other faction.”

“Still they have to make it around Ajunta Pall’s tomb and Esoteric’s forces,” The Twi’lek cyborg said, “Do we know the strength of Esoteric’s forces?”

“Not for sure, the tomb has an immense size and can hide tremendous numbers of troops from long-range scans.”

Keirdagh’s frown wrinkled his forehead. “Their reinforcements are on the edge of the system. Probably waiting until we and the Loyalists have weakened each other enough that we aren’t as much as a challenge to them any more… cowards.” The last word almost spat from his mouth.

“Master Keirdagh, what about our own reinforcements?”

“Rian, what kind of reinforcements do you mean?” The Proconsul replied scowling. “At the moment we can’t effort even a single soldier to be send your way as reinforcement.”

“What about our allies? Have we heard from Odan-Urr or Scholae?”

“We know that Odan-Urr has dispatched a small entourage of Jedi, but too little to serve as reinforcements,” Halcyon offered sternly. “Nothing from Scholae yet.”

“Rian, what ever happens, we have to ensure that Muz won’t gain access to the tomb of Marka Ragnos.” the image of Jac Cotelin emphasied. “Even if it means we have to destroy it.”

“You can’t be serious about that Lord Cotelin,” Vodo said briskly, “There might be countless relics and scrolls inside the tomb, to destroy it might mean to destroy crucial parts of our history.”

“I am not a historian, but I agree with Vodo here, there has to be another way” Rian said, “Can’t we just sneak around Esoteric’s troops after nightfall and get to the tomb of Marka Ragnos?”

“Rian, given the numbers our scanners picking up on the Loyalist’s base,” Halcyon added. “I doubt we have that much time. Our scans indicate that they may have transferred enough troops to make an attempt at breaking through Esoteric’s lines within the next twelve hours.”

“Fine, that means we could get past them while they deal with each other.”

“I don’t think that it will work like that Rian, most of the Loyalist troops on the ground come from the Fist and Arcona, they will recognize you the moment you enter the battlefield.”

“Still, for me, that looks like our best guess to secure the tomb ourself.”

“Rian, this is too dangerous, you might get either captured or killed – or both. Muz will simply step over your corpse and claim the scrolls inside the tomb that will allow him to perform the Rite of Immortality again.” Halycon said. “Bombing the estimated location of Marka Ragnos’ tomb before Muz get’s there sounds like our best chance.”

Rian leaned forward over the table. “I know we can do it.”

"Rian- " Halcyon began once more.

“I know that this is dangerous, Halc. If we use the Derriphan already on ground to make a fast ‘Hit and Run’ attack on Esoteric’s troops, we can make it past them and then secure the tomb of Marka Ragnos and get the scrolls out of Muz’s reach for ever.”

"By the time the you and the Massassi enter the valley, Esoteric’s troops will see you… It will be a massacre.

“The same can be said about a squad of gunships coming in hot,” For the first time Nyssa raised her voice, an odd curl of her auburn hair falling into her face. “We all saw what Muz did on Antei, what makes you think he would refrain from doing it again here on Korriban – or on any other world? If the tomb of Ragnos holds information about how to make the Rite of Immortality more powerful, it might contain information on how to lessen it’s effect, if not how to stop it’s effect.”

Looking around in the group she added. “If I had to make a vote, I would vote for Rian.”

Vodo nodded. “I concur, let’s make this a vote.”

"Given our range of options, I vote Rian.” The image of Keirdagh counted nods. “Four in favor. Jac?”

“This is a risky plan Rian, with failure being not an option. I reccomend you leave Halcyon to organize the assault from here.” Jac sank back into the command chair of the Justice. “You will get twelve hours before I order the bombardment of the temple from orbit.”

After a moment Vodo turned from the table. “I will inform the troops that we move out in less than one hour.”

-~-~-

Tomb of Ajunta Pall / Center of Operations of the New Order
Korriban
Valley of the Dark Lords
38 ABY

The Ensign’s throat tightened with every step as he rushed through the cavernous corridors of Ajunta Pal’s tomb, even though he wasn’t attuned to the Force like the ones he was taking orders from, this place still had something in it that made him shiver. But that shiver was nothing compared to the feelings that boiled up within him when he thought of her and the reaction that might happen when he told her what he had been ordered by his superior. Turning around a corner, he met a larger cavern, sparsely furnishedwith only dim lights coming from a few torches arranged all around the room. He stopped close to table holding various sharp and spiky instruments, not even daring to look at the poor individual being bound to the chair. Both the blond haired man and Dark Lord Dantelly Novae were with their backs to him.

“Lady Novae,” The ensign said, still fighting the tightnessin his throat. “Perimeter scanners picking up five signals, closing in on our location.”

“Who?” Came the reply from the Dark Lord, who still seemed more interested in her unintentional guest than the news presented to her.

“From the make of the transports and their markings: Clan Taldryan, my Lady.”

“A bold turn from Cotelin,” The Elder said after a moment of consideration, finally taking her gaze from the poor being on the chair. “Commence defensive protocols once they are within reach.”

“Yes, my lady.” The ensign hesitated.

“You may now leave, Ensign, or don’t you see that I have more important matters?”

“Of course my Lady.” Bowing, the ensign retreated, feeling lighter to not have brought his superior’s anger upon him.

-~-~-

The tomb of Ajunta Pall was located centrally within the valley of the Dark Lords atop a small plateau overlooking the valley, almost mocking the five heavily armed All Terrain Open Transports that now wound their way toward it. Each carried a Dark Jedi as well as a full circle of Massassi Warriors, each ready to bring the death and destruction carried aboard where ever their commander wanted them. Standing on the open platform of the leading AT-OT the Consul stared across the canyon leading into the Valley. Only a minute more, maybe two, and they would be in reach of Esoteric’s cannon emplacements already visible by the eye. Turning, Rian faced the twenty-five Massassi warriors aboard their transport carrying them into battle. Though the Massassi were known to be fearless warriors, they felt what every soldier in the galaxy felt shortly before entering a battle: fear. Not of death or watching their friends and brothers die, but the fear of failure and even more important, the fear of being wounded and living out the rest of their lives crippled or maimed. The fear of failure was something not uncommon to Rian. it had been one of the earliest lessons he had learned in the Brotherhood; how to turn fear into his own advantage. He patted the shoulder of the Arban, silently commisurating with the leader of the circle, then Hell broke out upon them.

The five transports kept moving against the heavily increasing fire coming from Esoteric’s troops; their medium laser cannons mounted below the cockpits eager to return what was thrown at them. Lacking anything in the way of shields to absorb the fire, only one lucky hit could take out each transport. The AT-OT to his left side was the first to go down, thanks to a direct hit to its forward right leg. Abandoning the wounded transport, Rian could make out the mechanical legs of the Twi’lek cyborg digging violently into the stony surface before making a run for the nearest cover.

“Lord Taldrya, we can’t go any further without risking more transports.” The muffled voice of the pilot came over the inbuilt comlink of his battle suit.

“Looks like we have to take the rest the hard way… Everyone out of the transports.” Rian commanded, already jumping over the ledge of the open top. “Pilots, we need support fire to cover our tracks.”

On the ground Rian took a brief look instantly recognizing the features of each of his fellow Dark Jedi, alive and already on the move to close in on the tomb of Ajunta Pall. Mere meters in front of the tomb the Massassi broke into a run storming the enemy lines, covering the tracks of the Dark Jedi who assembled just outside of enemies base of operations.

NyssaBubbles

Nyssa grinned as she slid behind an outcropping of rock, joining Rian in taking shelter from the blaster fire that continued to rain down on them from Esoteric’s troops, despite the best efforts of the Massassi Warriors, “Just like old times hey?” she quipped, “I’d forgotten how much fun this could be.”

Rian raised an eyebrow speculatively, “You really do have a different definition of fun to most people, don’t you?”, he retorted as Vodo and Sena joined them, “So, through Ajunta Pall’s tomb is the shortest way to our end goal, going around is going to take longer, but probably meet with less resistance, any thoughts?”

Arvalis tumbled adroitly over the outcrop, landing in a sleek crouch next to his Consul as Vodo replied “Do we have any idea how much resistance we’re likely to meet going through? If Novae’s been holed up in there for a while she may well have left some welcome gifts for us?”

“I agree,” asserted Lokasena, “Certainly I can sense at least one creature in there powerful in the Force, I would think it’s likely to be Novae, and even with our combined skills, going around may prove quicker.”

Nyssa nodded, “You’re right hun, whatever’s in there is a stronger Force user than any of us, and judging by it’s arrogant nature I’d lay odds on it being Novae. Between us we shouldn’t struggle, but it’d take some time.”

“Around as planned then it is.” summarised Rian, “Everyone ready to move out while the Massassi still have Esoteric’s troops mostly distracted?”

Rian

Outside the Ruins of the Sith Academy
Korriban
Valley of the Dark Lords
38ABY

From where she stood, the black-clad Ikotchi female could see the tomb of Ajunta Pall, the current base of operations of Dantella Novae and here lackeys. Less than an hour has passed since she has executed the Twil’lek and it was within the last couple of minutes that the Nephilim under her command have reported to her that the tomb was under attack by troops under the command of the Taldryan Consul. What did he know? She wondered.

Necren abandoned the thought and concentrated solely on her own plan. A single Nephilim paced to her side. "Lord Necren, our scouts have located the camp of the rogue Jedi. There was no sign of him, but it looks like there was an ambush on him, as we found the corpse of a One Sith soldier.

The words hung in the air, frozen. For now on it didn’t matter to her what the Taldryan Consul knew, if he found Connor before her, he would know soon enough about the writings.

“Prepare my speeder,” Necren said to the soldier. The man in the anonymous black helmet nodded.

Outside of the tomb of Ajunta Pall
Korriban
Valley of the Dark Lords
38 ABY

“… Rian… Rax has… planetfall… they… to support…” Halcyon was trying to tell Rian something through the comlink, and it sounded like it might be important but the sounds of combat and static caused by jamming devices made it hard for any signal to get through.

Whatever it was, it would have to wait.

Shouts of combat and blasterfire still filled the air, but as they moved around the fortification, the terrain became tricky and even while most of Esoteric’s troops were caught in firefights with the Massassi, some other accesses to the plateau were still guarded by cannon emplacements slowing their progress.

Another emplacement swiveled toward them, but before the gunner was even able to get a bead on them, a speeder whipped past it, barely missing him as it bore down on the group. Its black-clad rider jumped from it, a long-handled, red bladed lightsaber in her hand, decacipating the gunner in mid-air. The blade was shut down even before the new arrival’s feet had touched the ground.

They all felt the power radiating from her, but it was Rian who recognized her from a Dark Council meeting that felt like an eternity ago – too much had changed as of late. “Be careful,” The Consul warned.

Necren watched them warily, her mind probing on their motives. They had no idea about Grey, but they were searching for the writings too, though they didn’t know of them yet. A plan stretched out within her mind.

Lowering her guard, Necren bowed slightly. “I pledge your pardon, Lord Taldrya.” She said. “But it seems like I got informations that are of use for you.”

“Why should I listen to the words of a traitor, Necren?”

“Traitor,” She lowered her head in shame. "yes, I made mistakes in the past. Mistakes I would do every thing to undo – "

“Don’t listen to her Rian,” Vodo said, making a step toward her, lightsaber at the ready. “She is playing a game with you.”

The female Ikotchi raised her hands in pacification. “Please listen to me, my Lord, I am not playing a game with you. I am in search of my companion, a rogue Jedi, he has been captured by Novae’s troops.”

“And why should a rogue Jedi be a matter of us?”

“Because he knows about writings hidden within the tomb of Marka Ragnos that will allow Lord Cotelin to negate the effects of the Rite of Immortality.”

Rian nodded her to go on. “Vodo, let her tell her story.”

“We planned to deliver the writings to Lord Cotelin, once we had them, but he got captured by Novae.”

Rian

“Why haven’t you been at his side then?” Vodo demanded. “Rian, if she really knows about the location of the writings, she could have retrieved them herself, I think she is lying on us.”

“No, I am not.” She said. “Connor was already on Korriban when the fleet of Ashen and yours arrived, I had to find a way to the surface first. It is also Connor who knows the exact location within the tomb of Marka Ragnos. We might be allies on that matter but that doesn’t mean we trust each other entirely.”

Letting her gaze wander between the Taldryanites, she continued. “We might all benefit from the situation, I know about Taldryan’s allegiance with Cotelin, so we all share a common goal. If you help me to free Connor, we will help you to retrieve the writings for Lord Cotelin. The
reward for this will be all yours, as long as you mention our role to retrieve it.”

“Its not about the rewards, Necren.” Rian remanded her. “Its about the fact that we have to stop Ashen from utilising the rite of Immortality again.”

“Of course my Lord,” the Ikotchi said bowing again. “I just want to undo my mistakes, and even though I know this won’t by far make them up, it might be a first step to regain my status as part of your Brotherhood.”

“Hun, hating to say that, but it might really benefit us to help her to get the writings.” Nyssa whispered.

“You are right as always, Bubbs.” Rian replied, still wary on the motives that drive Necren. “She can’t be trusted, but helping her, helps our own ends.”

"Darth Necren, we will help you to free your companion and to retrieve the writings from the tomb of Marka Ragnos, but after that, you will freely move yourself into our custody and face the trials for your crimes against the Brotherhood.

“As you wish, my Lord.” Necren said, a smile hidden beneath her bowed head.

“Well then, lead the way,” the Consul said. “we will be right behind you.”

-~-~-

Necren moved from a standing start with surprising speed, dashing through a squad of soldiers that were now leaving the tombs inerts, probably to reinforce the troops fighting the Massassi. They wouldn’t be able join the battle either as the best barely gave a second shot at the Ikotchi before he fell down to the ground, dead.

Glancing over her shoulder, she saw the Taldryanites following suit, again a smile crept past the Ikotchi’s lips.

The tomb itself seemed to stretch like a maze as the group progressed, now slower than on the outside.

Necren unexpectedly dropped into an alcove, and the rest followed her. There she stopped dead, listening with her index to her lips.

Novae was in the next chamber, currently bend over a man winding in his shackles.

“The more you resist, the more it will hurt.” Novae’s voice sounded calmly through the room. “It is up to you, all you have to do is tell me what I want to know.”

Rian counted down three fingers, and then dashed along the rest of the group straight into the chamber, circling the Dark Adept.

TelarisCantor