After a popular email chain, it’s been suggested that continuing on a forum may be clear and easier. I agree.
This post will be edited periodically to reflect the opinions and ideas that come up.
- The Clan Summit is going to submit a draft proposal which will require the approval of the Dark Council.
- The Clan is on the system’s main planet. House Hoth and House Satele Shan can have their own celestial bodies in the same system.
- The entire star system is under the dominion of an existing space-faring civilization (an empire/kingdom), and it remains so even after we colonise it. Their species must fit Canon.
- No Bronze Age societies, only space-age ones.
- Important to note that there is a strong push by the main planet to find and exploit any arable land.
Key Questions, and ideas proposed so far:
Inhabitable, or not?
- Breathable atmosphere, successful ecosystem of non-intelligent lifeforms.
- Breathable atmosphere, hostile terrain, in the style of Mustafar.
- Varied climate, with temperate zone, tropical, tundra etc. Allows for more variety in fiction events.
Inhabited, or not? In what capacity?
- Uninhabited by sapient life. This makes it easier to operate the SeNet and our surface-based fiction won’t be complicated by having to deal with natives.
- Already inhabited, because if the main planet has a space-faring civilization and the moon supports life they will undoubtedly have colonised it. Important to note that there is a strong push by the main planet to find and exploit any arable land.
- Already inhabited, but to a limited extent: small colony?
How do these interact? (ie. inhabitable but not inhabited, because…)
- Evidence of technologically advanced civ’s existence. Possible explanations for the civilization’s disappearance:
- They were killed off by a super-predator;
- tectonic turmoil;
- an epidemic that forced the moon to be quarantined and killed all remaining on it;
- Original inhabitants fell victim to a plague that caused violence and removed impulse control It caused wars and violence on a planetary scale killing off the survivors because they were too violent to do the basic things to survive.
- question left open for later development;
- a catastrophe burned out the atmosphere, but non-sapient life was able to develop again in the following millennia;
- advanced technology misfired;
- supervolcano eruption and ashcloud;
- ice age.
House’s location on the planet
- The Satele Shan base and all its members live in a single location on the celestial body.
- The base is subterranean.
- House location is in the side of a mountain end of a valley overlooking the approach up the valley. allowing for an easy defense like helms deep. the main population of the house and their family would like outside the house and temple in the sunlight. the “Temple” would be built out of the rock with some structures available to the outside with modern age security.
Varied Climate, or hostile? Both?
- The celestial body is a moon. Might be better received by the VOICE and DC. Better tailored to the size of the House.
- It would be a moon on the neighbouring planet from the main planet so that our coming and going is not openly seen by the government maintaining some secrecy. It would be one of 2 inhabital moons out of three orbiting the gas planet that is a major source of mining for natural gas for converting into energy source. other inhabital moon would be a large refinery moon that had a mineral needed to manufacture the fuel and a bacteria in the water that ate the polution.
- Tidal patterns,
- Tide would be unique to the planet changing multiple times a day since a moon rotates at a different speed than a planet.
- Mild tectonic movement. about 3/4 what earth’s tectonic shift is since it is a moon with a smaller less powerful core.
- Varied topography as the planet turns on a slightly heavier axis than earth.
- Disease vectors etc.
- Plague that attacks the part of the brain that controls impulses and regulates anger caused populace to become insanely violent and kill themselves off.
- Ruins? Why?
- Ruins of an ancient civilization. The ruins can be of a technologically-advanced civilization. They could have left a ring of debris around the moon, which would provide reason to go to the moon (salvage) and also sensor cover.
Let the discussion continue! (hopefully)